Narellan house fire prompts urgent warning

Narellan firefighters are warning residents to “keep looking when cooking” to avoid kitchen catastrophes following a house fire in Doncaster Avenue, Narellan early Saturday morning.

Station Commander Greg Wright said the home owner was “lucky to be alive”.

“The fire quickly spread to the roof space after the home owner fell asleep whilst cooking early Saturday morning,” he said.

“Flames or heat sources being left unattended are the most common cause contributing to kitchen fires.

“It can take just three minutes for a fire to take hold, but only seconds to prevent one.

“To avoid kitchen fire catastrophes, we urge people to keep looking when cooking.

“It’s a simple way to avoid losing your home or even worse, your loved ones or your own life.”

The Station Commander also urged homeowners to ensure they had a working smoking alarm.

“It is vitally important all home owners ensure they have a working smoke alarm,” he said.

“Only a properly installed working smoke alarm will alert you and other occupants to the presence of a fire in your home.”

The fire was extinguished by Narellan and Camden Fire Brigades, with assistance from stations from the greater Macarthur area. 

Fire and Rescue NSW recommends the following simple safety checklist for home cooks: 

  • Never leave cooking unattended. If you leave the kitchen, turn off the stove .
  • It takes just three minutes for a fire to take hold, but only seconds to prevent one.
  • Don’t put anything metallic in the microwave.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
  • Store flammable items (aerosols, cleaning agents and cooking oil etc) away from heat.
  • Don’t cook under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Keep loose clothing, fabrics, tea towels and curtains away from the stove.
  • Turn pot handles inwards to avoid being knocked or grabbed by children.
  • Keep your oven and rangehood clean. Excess grease and fat can ignite in a fire.
  • Don’t use LPG cylinders for cooking or heating indoors.
  • Never overload power points or power boards in the kitchen.
  • Make sure you have a working smoke alarm.
  • If your pan catches fire, remember to never use water to put out a fat or oil fire – turn off the stove and use the lid to cover the flame.
  • Get out, stay out and call Triple Zero ‘000’.