Police chase turns into pub crawl in Newcastle

None

A man has been charged with attempted murder after he allegedly shot a man in the face and led police on a pursuit along the NSW north coast.

A warrant had been issued for the 30-year-old after the alleged attempted murder in Newcastle in December, 2017.

Police attempted to stop him at 10am on Friday as he exited a pub in Kempsey. The man refused to stop and they initiated a pursuit that was terminated in Jerseyville, 30 kilometres east of Kempsey, due to safety reasons.

He was arrested at 12:45pm at another pub in South West Rocks. Police seized multiple items including a firearm, drugs, ammunition and a laser sight.

The man was taken to Kempsey police station and charged wth a range of offences including shoot at with intent to murder, police pursuit - not stop - drive dangerously, drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous and possess shortened firearm without authority.

He was refused bail and will face Port Macquarie Local Court on Saturday.

Police will allege the man was part of a group that ambushed and shot a man at his apartment near Newcastle on December 18, 2017.

The 37-year-old victim miraculously survived the attack but suffered extensive injuries to his jaw and lost part of his tongue.

The incident occurred just after 10:30pm at unit on Gordon Avenue in Hamilton, a suburb outside Newcastle's CBD.

Three men are believed to have ambushed the victim before an argument broke out inside the unit. It is alleged that the 30-year-old then pulled a gun on the occupant, shooting him in the face.

The three attackers fled the scene before the police arrived. Neighbours who spoke to Fairfax Media said the attack happened very quickly.

"There was just this loud noise and then a massive bang. It was chaos after that," one witness, who declined to be named, said.

Another neighbour said the man's attackers were harassing him from the street before they entered the upper-level unit.

"They were screaming at him to come down," the witness said.

"They sounded very angry. I just hope he [the victim] is OK - he was not in a good way. It is very surprising as he seems like a good man."

The 37-year-old was taken to John Hunter Hospital in a serious but stable condition and underwent facial surgery on Tuesday.

While police were unable to speak to the victim initially, they did confirm that he was known to police.

Police are continuing with their inquiries.

with the Newcastle Herald

This story Police chase turns into pub crawl in Newcastle first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.