Picton Bypass planning and investigative work to begin on Monday, July 30

Wollondilly MP Jai Rowell lobbyed the state government to fund the Picton Bypass. Pictures: Simon Bennett
Wollondilly MP Jai Rowell lobbyed the state government to fund the Picton Bypass. Pictures: Simon Bennett

Work on the Picton Bypass will begin in the coming days.

The Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) has confirmed that planing and investigative work will begin on Monday, July 30.

The work is set to take place over two weeks, weather permitting.

Last month, Wollondilly MP Jai Rowell announced he had secured $3 million to start the planning works for the Picton Bypass.

Mr Rowell described the announcement as a “huge win” for the community.

“Traffic congestion will be reduced and heavy vehicles will be diverted from the main streets in Picton,” he said.

“It will make Picton safer.”

The bypass will a major road connecting Picton Road to the Old Hume Highway.

A RMS spokesperson said the bypass would reduce traffic congestion in Picton and improve amenity for the Wollondilly community.

“The bypass is being planned to provide an alternative and more direct from Thirlmere and Tahmoor to the Hume Highway, especially for heavy vehicles.”

The RMS will carry out a traffic study over the coming weeks.

Traffic counters and cameras will be installed along Picton Road, Remembrance Drive and in surrounding areas.

The RMS will keep the community informed as the project progresses.

RELATED CONTENT:

Comments