Minto residents opposed to plan for 23 townhouses in estate

Not in my suburb: Residents have joined forces to oppose a 23-townhouse subdivision in Minto.
Not in my suburb: Residents have joined forces to oppose a 23-townhouse subdivision in Minto.

A group of residents are "bitterly opposed" to a development application for 23 townhouses in their Minto estate.

Almost 50 residents met last week to discuss their opposition to the proposal - lodged by Urbanlink Architects - in Ingle Park Estate, off Minto Road.

Michael Delmage, who has lived in the estate since 1987, said the Francis Street proposal was inappropriate for the area and would bring unwelcome traffic to their "narrow streets".

"Most of us built our houses 25 or 30 years ago and raised our families here," he said.

"This is a quiet, leafy suburb and 23 townhouses with an underground car park is not in the style of the area where we live.

"Not only would there be the traffic of all the families who would live in the subdivision, but the small roads would not be able to handle all the heavy vehicles needed during the construction phase."

Mr Delmage said residents were also concerned about bushfire risks.

He said the estate, which partly backs onto a reserve, had been evacuated in the past and residents needed to leave in a hurry via the lone access road to Ingle Park: Burford Road.

Mr Delmage said he did not believe the proposal met the State Environmental Planning Policy's 'affordable housing' criteria and as such should be subject instead to Campbelltown Council's Local Environment Plan which prevents this level of housing density.

He said the residents were "very angry" and hoped the development would not be approved by the Sydney Western City Planning Panel.

"If it gets through we'll have a fight on our hands," Mr Delmage said.

"There's no way we could live here if the townhouses are approved, and we don't want to move. This is where we've chose to live our lives."

If it gets through we'll have a fight on our hands.

Michael Delmage

Mr Delmage said Macquarie Fields MP Anoulack Chanthivong had been a big help in spreading the word about the development and getting the public exhibition period extended.

The MP said overdevelopment came at a "huge cost".

"What you end up with is more urban splatter, people squeezed into shoeboxes with no additional infrastructure and a diminished quality of life," Mr Chanthivong said.

Make a submission about the proposal before close of business on Tuesday, June 25. Full details at campbelltown.nsw.gov.au.

The Advertiser could not reach the applicants for comment.