Further action taken against truckie who got stuck on Broughton Pass

The Broughton Pass bridge was damaged by a truck crash earlier this month. Picture: Deputy Mayor Matt Gould Facebook page

The Broughton Pass bridge was damaged by a truck crash earlier this month. Picture: Deputy Mayor Matt Gould Facebook page

The Victorian truck driver who got his B Double stuck on Broughton Pass earlier this year has had his right to drive in NSW suspended for three months.

The man copped more than $800 in fines after he caused severe damage to the bridge on July 8.

Transport for NSW compliance director Roger Weeks said the decision to suspend the visiting privileges of the driver followed careful consideration of the incident's impact on the local community.

"The oversized truck caused damage to the road infrastructure and obstructed traffic, causing a 45 minute detour," Mr Weeks said.

"It took more than four hours to free the Kenworth K200 after it collided with safety barriers on entry to the bridge at Cataract River and then about two weeks to repair the barriers following the incident.

"These facts were considered and it was found to be appropriate to remove the right to drive from the interstate licence holder."

Wilton Road has seven length and mass advisory signs including 'long vehicles no access, go back', 'oversized vehicles turn around now', an electronic heavy vehicle warning sign and several other static signs in place to provide as much warning as possible that Broughton Pass is not a suitable B Double route.

"The decision by this driver to ignore these warnings and the resultant cost, time and inconvenience caused by the crash has led to his suspension from NSW roads for the next three months," Mr Weeks said.

"It is hoped the penalties handed to this driver and the trucking company's vehicles will serve as a warning to other operators to ensure they are always using approved heavy vehicle routes, wherever they are travelling in NSW."

Wollondilly councillor Michael Banasik recently asked the council to the RMS and the Minister for Transport calling on them to put fixed cameras on either side of Broughton Pass to prevent oversized trucks going across the bridge.

"We had a truck, which exceeded the bridge's limits, try to go across the bridge and it caused a massive amount of damage," he said.

"It was also a huge inconvenience to the people who live in Appin and Wilton.

"There was also a substantial economic loss, not only for the cost of fixing the bridge but for businesses in Appin and people travelling to school and work."

The truckie allegedly told inspectors he had travelled from Banksmeadow before "getting lost" after missing the turn to the M5 motorway.

He then travelled towards Wollongong in an attempt to return to the Hume Highway.

The man allegedly saw warning signs along Wilton Road, but claimed he was unable to turn his truck around.

However, an RMS spokeswoman said at the time there was "no excuse" for heavy vehicles to be on roads "not suitable for their size and mass".

"It is completely unacceptable that one truck driver who disobeyed multiple warning signs should cause significant disruption to other road users," she said.

"The signs are in place for a reason."

Wollondilly Council workers have since installed a new guard rail on Broughton Pass.