In case you missed it, construction recently began for Narellan Sports Hub stage two, as we aim to become the sporting mecca of western Sydney.
Sport has been in my family for many years and I am so proud to be able to help bring the community more high-quality sport and recreation facilities.
We are a growing community which will definitely need the best facilities across the region, and we are working hard to deliver.
Once complete, Narellan Sports Hub will be a popular destination for not only locals but many others across Sydney. It will be remarkable to have the ability to host a number of state competitions across many sports, including netball, athletics, hockey and rugby league.
Not only will this mean assistance for the sporting sector, but it will also help boost our own local economy and support local business.
Having projects like this begin now, in a time that has been so uncertain, and unsettling really is terrific for our community.
It is also important to thank both the federal and state governments for their funding to deliver this facility through the $5 million from the Greater Sydney Sports Facility Fund and $17.6 million under the Western Parkland City Liveability Program with the Australian and NSW governments jointly contributing $11.3 million and council contributing $6.3 million.
Facilities to be completed by December 2021:
- An additional 14 netball courts with floodlighting;
- A synthetic athletics track, including field and jump facilities, floodlighting, drainage and irrigation;
- An additional full-size rugby league field to replace the existing smaller 'mod league' field, including floodlighting and drainage;
- An athletics administration/club building;
- An additional 1,150 car parking spaces, in four new areas;
- Internal access roads;
- A criterium cycling track;
- A road and pedestrian bridge over the existing drainage corridor;
- A large turfed area for future multi-purpose use;
- A pedestrian and cycle path network; and
- A major upgrade of the Porrende Street roundabout.
I cannot wait to see the end product!
- Theresa Fedeli