One new COVID-19 death - three new cases in NSW overnight

A senior citizen at a Sydney hospital has become the latest NSW victim of COVID-19. Photo: Adam McLean.
A senior citizen at a Sydney hospital has become the latest NSW victim of COVID-19. Photo: Adam McLean.

An 80-year-old woman has died of coronavirus in a Sydney hospital and three new cases have been detected in NSW in the last 24 hours.

NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said the woman, who died in Concord Hospital,had "been sick for some time" and is believed to have contracted the virus from a hospital outpatient clinic.

Dr Chant sent her condolences to the woman's family but added there was no cause for concern for further infection.

"All the appropriate actions were put in place, and I'm very pleased to say there's no ongoing risk," Dr Chant said.

The three new cases were uncovered in the more than 8000 tests that were carried out in the last 24 hours.

Dr Chant said they knew the suburbs where the three cases lived but were continuing investigations to see if they contracted coronavirus there or elsewhere.

Coming into winter, she said the government was not looking to introduce mandatory testing but warned people who had been tested before but developed a new symptom to get tested again.

"I would like to reassure the community that one of the key things that we've seen from some of the experience overseas is that people may be deferring their engagement with seeking care," she said.

"It's very important at this time that people manage their chronic health conditions. Our health care environment is a safe one and people should feel comfortable coming forward for care.

Planning Minister Rob Stokes announced the second tranche of developments to be fast-tracked.

The 24 projects in the second tranche are valued at $5.37 billion and are estimated to create more than 15,000 new jobs.

On the issue of students returning to school on Monday, Premier Gladys Berejiklian felt the state was prepared.

"I've very confident this is the right time," Ms Berejiklian said.

"We've taken weeks of planning to get to this stage and of course we've also sent out strong messages about how we recommend people get to and from school."

This story One new COVID-19 death - three new cases in NSW overnight first appeared on Illawarra Mercury.

Comments